Thursday, May 17, 2012

Never More Than You Can Handle

The old saying always goes, "God will never put more on your plate than you can handle". I am hoping this is true, because He seems to be testing me more than ever now. 
Last week my family received some heartbreaking news. My Stepdad was diagnosed with cancer for a second time. :( 
There are two spots, one right above his stomach and below his esophagus and the other spot is right at his collar bone on his right side. The doctors are optimistic and say they can get it all with chemotherapy and radiation. I am praying they are correct. He went for his pre-op today to discuss when they are putting the portal into his chest.
This means he can do some chemotherapy at home every day rather than showing up to the doctor's office 2-3 times a week. He has to do roughly 30 radiation treatments and reports to have his pump refilled every 2 weeks. When he reports he has to have a 5 hour treatment of chemo. 
It's hard on the family right now but the next 2-3 months are going to be really rough. The doctor said if they can't get it all with treatments then they can at least shrink it enough to remove the tumors. I am hoping they can get it all with treatments. My Mom is being so strong and I know she is scared like the rest of us, but she doesn't show it to keep us from freaking out. 
I am part of a group called Stick it 2 Cancer. The goal for this year is $104,000 in fundraising for the LLS, Leukemia Lymphoma Society. My Stepdad wants to make a donation to our cause. He said, "If $20 brings us closer to finding a cure for me, then I am all in." 
I want now more than ever to find a cure, and to help people in my Stepdad's situation. I want to keep him around for more than just 12 years that I have had so far. I want him there when I get married, and have children. It seems selfish to me right now that it's for me that I want to keep him around. I want him around for my Mom. She finally found love and happiness and I don't want her to suffer. I don't want him to suffer. I want to keep my family together. 

http://pages.lightthenight.org/ga/nmetro12/LMcKinnon 

This is my personal page for the LLS Light the Night walk this year. Please, help me and my family find a cure. Each week of cancer research costs $1,000 and our group wants to raise enough for 2 years of research. 


God doesn't give you more than you can handle, it's true. Help me make a difference, and find a cure. Together, we can help others in my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment